Thursday, March 26, 2009

Sonford Q. McSquigglebottoms

This is an ode to the pooch who has taken over my house. When I moved to Athens, I found out that they had a pet policy at Ohio University and Hall Directors could own "smaller dogs" or cats. I talked to P about it and he told me how much he'd always wanted a dog and was SO excited that I could possibly get a pooch. So, while he was living in Columbus we'd chat on the phone and look at Petfinder.org the most fabulous website for finding rescue dogs and other animals in need of love. One day he came across this picture of a puppy that was a lovely reddish color with white tipped toes. I think that moment, my then boyfriend may have been more in love with a picture of a dog than he was with me! LOL!

We investigated the dog and decided that it was quite probable that we wanted to adopt him. This was a big step for us! MUTUAL DOG OWNERSHIP! That was like...a commitment or something *mwahhahahaha*
We drove up to Mt.Gilead, OH one day to check him out. He was living with the county rescue agent and her 30 other dogs. No. That's not a typo. 30.Other.Dogs. She let him in the house and he came running straight to us like he knew we were there for him. He was a little lighter in color than we'd thought he would be and he had a small cherry eye in his left eye. A cherry eye is mostly a cosmetic deformity in most dogs....in some it can cause eye problems because it interferes with the way the dog makes tears. Sonneigh's doesnt give him any problems and is minor so doesn't need any surgery. The rescue agent was worried though that people would be turned off by this little imperfection. We didn't care and took him home with us that day.

Have you ever transported a dog in a car that had never been in one? We hadn't. Let me tell you, we learned very quickly in the 3 hour drive back to Athens that it results in CARSICKNESS. ALL OVER. We had to pull over 3 times to clean out the car. It was A-W-F-U-L. I do not do vomit well. I nearly lost everything I ate that week the 3rd time it happened.

Despite the vomit and the chewed up dvds and the 3 foot tall stuffed dragon that ended up gutted all over my living room floor...Sonneigh is the absolute best dog in the entire world. He doesn't bark hardly ever and loves nothing more than a cuddle in the evening. He also likes comfort....as you can see in the pictures below.


I came downstairs one day this fall and found him sitting on top of the chair cushions that I had put on the patio table to dry out.

please pay no attention to the rip in the curtain....P got the dog excited and the dog stepped on the curtain and tore it. I haven't been able to find a replacement that matches the others yet!


3 Things:

The joy animals can bring to your life
That there are good people in the world that care about the welfare of animals
Petfinder.org

1 comment:

Donn24g said...

awwwww I love your dog!!! He is SOOOOOO cute!!! Im so glad you posted about your little 4-legged family member, i should do the same!!o just so cute:)

Quotes

Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you. Princess Diana
 

pottamus! where?! | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates