Friday, January 2, 2009

sometimes it's nice

When you feel like you really helped someone.

I had a student come in today in tears because she'd been dismissed from the program that she was trying to go for because her gpa dropped below what they require. She was stressed and unhappy and crying. I told her that we'd be able to make things better and listened to her describe why she wanted that program to begin with. While she was describing what she was passionate about, I was able to see that the program she was in wasn't actually the best one for the direction she wants to go. I talked to her a lot about grad schools and what she needed to do to get to the career she wants and by the time she left 40 minutes later, she was laughing and excited about the classes she would be taking this quarter.

Sometimes I have a hard time explaining what exactly I do to other people. I have a hard time articulating why I want to work what is essentially a desk job...Sometimes, like yesterday, I would rather be absolutely anywhere else but stuck in my office when I'd rather be outside or at home...but then there are days like today when I can say that I helped 'rescue' 'counsel' 'fix' 'heal' and 'give hope to' someone who really needed it.

3 Things:

college football even though none of my teams other than Oregon are winning
homeade turkey soup and pulled pork sandwiches that make my house smell like home
having the opportunity to help others every day

3 comments:

Kristen said...

It's so exciting to help someone and get to do what you love at the same time!

Oh, and I love the new blog design. Beautiful.

Heather said...

look at your new design! you had to work yesterday? that's hard core! i'm still searching for my job...i've applied for several advising jobs myself, because i feel that is the right direction for me...but with the university on a hiring freeze, that will probably not happen for a bit (yay, substituting!).

glad i came across as super-together. :) i sure didn't feel like it half the time! although i guess i had my hardest year after you left (so i guess we probably both had a hard time at the same time?). i find that it is often the quiet ones that are the best at hiding what they are going through or struggling on their own. maybe not the best thing in the world.

moving to a new place and out on my "own" was difficult as well. i was so used to having people right there all the time that i struggled...especially since i didn't have a job during the first few months. i had no idea what to do with myself, and often felt really lonely. b couldn't understand why i didn't get anything done during the day...he had a list a mile long for me to do...but i was just lonely and sad that everyone was gone. i was NOT motivated whatsoever to do anything. it was definitely weird.

Donn24g said...

That really is a good feeling, and it sounds like you are good at what you do.

By the way, I love the new design!! Kinda inspires me to to so something neat, it looks great!

Quotes

Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you. Princess Diana
 

pottamus! where?! | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates